Sunday, November 25, 2007

Coasting

Proud Mama Bear, and her girls


I remember the first day it happened. I got a new (hand me down repainted and looking new!!) bike for my birthday. I was so happy, it was blue and had strawberry stickers on it. I think my dad had painted it I don't know for sure, but I was chuffed none the less.
My big brother Aaron was helping me practise on the new bike until finally he decided I was ready to ride on the road. I could feel his hand holding the bike steady as I found my legs. He was running behind me holding the bike and talking to me, I remember feeling safe, after a few metres I told him not to let go, he replied that he already had..... I turned my head he had let go, wobble wobble went the bike, he called for me to turn around and I did, I kept pedalling and I didn't fall... I will never forget that moment of balance, the moment of gliding in balance for the first time.
The feeling stirs inside me just thinking about it.
The man in the bike shop told me the term for this is 'coasting' Ahhhhhh coasting for the first time.

A chuffed Phoebe after her first ride


Phoebe has asked Santa for a new bike for Christmas. She is between sizes at the moment, which is a bit tricky but we would like the bike to last a few years so Santa might be bringing the bigger one. The one that can't have training wheels on it. So I came home the other day and took off her training wheels and decided that I would make an effort to take her out riding everyday to get her ready, in case Santa does bring the requested bike.
I picked her up form school and on the way home I told her how I had taken the wheels off, just to see what happens. She liked the idea, so off we went. The paddock next door had just been slashed so it was a perfect setting for the first ride. I did as my brother did, I held her seat and talked in her ear, I knew that my hand was doing nothing and next thing she told me to let go. Off she went, round and round on the grass. She requested a move to the footpath, I was a little anxious, but off she went like she has been doing it for weeks. I had to take a little time with the starting off herself, but after half an hour she was so capable of even doing this too!
She was thrilled, I still am so proud, and Coco, well she was just asking how long it would be before she can have hers off too.
We called Lucas to tell him the news and he asked her what it felt like, she answered just the same but without training wheels!!! Very cute.
So, we have been out every day, she has even been riding on the road to the local shops, she is going so well... Go Diddy!!





Finding the balance



ARE YOU WATCHING MUM??? She called


Wheeeeeeeee



The concentration


I love the look on her face in this one



Coco wanted in on the photo action. Here she is looking very natural indeed!!!! lol
So Cute!!!

1 comment:

Christie said...

What a big milestone, great pics!